I offer a one or two day training course which is suitable for complete beginners or people looking to refresh their skills in mountain navigation.
Having felt completely inadequate at map reading myself many years ago, I will allow you sufficient time to digest and understand your new skills. There will be plenty of time to ask questions. I give you enough space to digest and understand.
Depending on your previous levels of knowledge we will look to cover the following topics:
- Detailed look at different types of maps
- Identifying key map symbols (paths, streams etc..)
- Interpreting contours
- Setting the map to match the ground
- Relocation techniques & reading grid references
- Map reading in poor or limited visibility
- How to use a compass
- How to estimate distance using timing and pacing
- Planning your own route and consideration of the weather
- Emergency proceedures in case of an incident